lorraine-primary
lorraine-primary-school

History

Early in the 1940s, Lorraine parents felt the need for a school in their suburb. The Department of Education eventually agreed and the opening of the school took place on 11 April 1944. This was a two-roomed building in Vitry Avenue under the leadership of Mr J.G. Kilian and one assistant, a Miss Romm. By 1946, there were 54 learners.

From 1947 – 1952 a steady growth necessitated the appointment of five additional teachers with their classrooms being rooms in private homes nearby.

On 1 May 1952 the new buildings on the present site were ready for occupation. (Presently the Foundation Phase Department). There were six classrooms, an office, two cloakrooms, an art room, storeroom and a kitchen. There was no electricity, no telephone or flush toilets until November 1952. The official opening of the new building was held on 12 November 1952.

In 1958, this school was further enlarged with the addition of four classrooms, a speech room, special educational classroom and one more storeroom.

Mr Kilian retired on 31 March 1973 and in April of that year, Mr D.R.D. van Rooyen was appointed in his place. Due to a healthy growth rate during Mr Denzil van Rooyen’s principalship, more extensions became necessary, and in June 1977, building work commenced on the wing consisting of the Media Centre, school hall, new staff room, admin offices etc. As Mr Kilian sacrificed so much and made the school his life’s work for the first 29 years of its existence, the new school hall was named the “J.G. Kilian Hall” as a token of appreciation to him. The official opening took place on 2 November 1979.

During 1986, excavations for the swimming pool commenced and by the end of that year, the project was completed and the official opening of our pool took place on 24 March 1987.

As a result of a population growth in Lorraine, the school was once again bursting at the seams! Extensions commenced in 1993 to include another floor with seven classrooms. The main entrance was relocated and the Administration block enlarged and refurbished. The wall and large gates at our entrance were erected during 1994.

At the end of July 1995, Mr van Rooyen retired as the second principal of Lorraine, having devoted 22 years of his life to the school. His dedication to his duties as principal, along with his unfailing love for our school, will be long remembered by many ex-parents and their children.

In January 1996, the new incumbent, Mr C.R. van Schalkwyk took over the reins, and like his 1994 predecessors, has taken much of the ethos even further so as to make the school a leading institution in Port Elizabeth. During his tenure, our Pre-Primary (Grade R) department consisting of three classes was established in 1997. He was also chiefly responsible for bringing the new sports fields and our beautiful sports centre, The Pavilion, to fruition. The school continues to flourish under his leadership. With more development in this fast growing area, it was once again necessary to expand. A new wing comprising seven classrooms, an Aftercare Centre and ablution blocks was completed in 2007. This building dedicated to him, is called the “Rudi van Schalkwyk Wing”.

 

A new Pre-Primary block was built in 2009 and the learners were able to move into their lovely new classrooms in January 2010.

 

Over the years, the spirit, loyalty and support of our parents has been a marked characteristic of Lorraine Primary.

Geskiedenis

Die voorloper van ons huidige skool was ’n tweekamergebou in Vitrylaan wat op 11 April 1944 geopen is. Mnr. J.G. Kilian (skoolhoof) en Me. Romm was die eerste leerkragte. Teen 1946 was daar al 54 leerders.

Vanaf 1947 tot 1952 het die leerdertal geleidelik toegeneem en vyf addisionele leerkragte is aangestel. Hulle moes van privaathuise gebruik maak as ekstra klaskamers. Die skool het geen sportvelde gehad nie en Vitrylaan is as atletiekveld gebruik.

In Mei 1952 is ‘n nuwe gebou voltooi (die huidige Grondslagfase Departement) met ses klaskamers, ‘n kantoor, twee kleedkamers, kunsklas, stoorkamer en kombuis. Daar was geen elektrisiteit, telefoon en spoeltoilette nie (buite emmerstelsel). Die amptelike opening van die gebou het op 12 November 1952 plaasgevind.

Uitbreidings is in 1958 aangebring met vier addisionele klaskamers, een spraakkamer, een kamer vir spesiale onderrig en een stoor kamer.

Mnr. Kilian het op 31 Maart 1973 die tuig neergelê en mnr. D.R.D. van Rooyen is in sy plek aangestel. Danksy ‘n gesonde groei in leerdergetalle, is nog uitbreidings aangebring en in Junie 1977 is daar begin met die bou van die vleuel wat onder andere die Mediasentrum, personeelkamer, skoolsaal en administratiewe kantore ingesluit het. Die skoolsaal is na mnr. Kilian vernoem. Die amptelike opening het op 2 November 1979 plaasgevind.

Gedurende 1986 is daar begin met uitgrawings vir die bou van ’n swembad wat op 24 Maart 1987 amptelik in gebruik geneem is.

Nuwe uitbreidings in 1993 het die nuwe hoofingang en die herstrukturering van die administratiewe gedeelte ingesluit. Nog ‘n verdieping, wat sewe klaskamers ingesluit het, het ook die lig gesien.

Na 22 jaar se toegewyde diens aan Laerskool Lorraine, het mnr. Van Rooyen die tuig aan die einde van Julie 1995 neergelê. Sy toewyding ten opsigte van sy pligte as skoolhoof, sowel as sy liefde vir die skool, sal altyd deur voormalige ouers en leerders onthou word.

In Januarie 1996 het mnr. C.R. van Schalkwyk die leisels as nuwe skoolhoof oorgeneem en, soos sy voorgangers, het hy reeds diep spore getrap om van Laerskool Lorraine ’n toonaangewende skool te maak. Onder sy leiding het ons skool se Pre-Primêre (gr. R) afdeling die lig gesien. Hy was ook grootliks verantwoordelik vir die totstandkoming van ons nuwe sportgronde en pragtige sportsentrum, Die Pavilion. ‘n Nuwe vleuel bestaande uit sewe klaskamers, ‘n Nasorgsentrum sowel as kleedkamers is in 2007 voltooi en in Maart 2008 amptelik geopen. Hierdie gebou is aan hom opgedra en staan bekend as die “Rudi van Schalkwyk vleuel”.

 

’n Nuwe Pre-Primêe blok is gedurende 2009 gebou en die leerders kon in Januarie 2010 in hulle pragtige nuwe klaskamers intrek.

 

’n Kenmerkende eienskap deur die jare was die gees van ondersteuning en samewerking wat ons van ons ouerkorps ontvang het.

TIMELINE / TYDLYN

1944

The school opened in a two-roomed building in Vitry Avenue under the leadership of the principal, Mr J. G. Kilian and one assistant, Miss Romm.

 

Die skool open in ’n tweekamergebou in Vitrylaan onder lyding van die skoolhoof, Mnr J. G. Kilian en een assistent, Mej Romm.

1947 - 1952

The school grew steadily and five new teachers were appointed. Rooms in private homes nearby were used for the extra classrooms needed.

 

Die skool het geleidelik gegroei en vyf nuwe leerkragte is aangestel. Kamers in nabygeleé privaathuise is as ekstra klaskamers gebruik.

1952

On 1 May the school moved to the present site on Meuse Avenue into what is now the Foundation Phase wing.

 

Op 1 Mei het die skool na die huidige terrein in Meuselaan verskuif, na wat tans die Grondslagfase Departement is.

1956

Extentions were made (five classrooms, speech room and storeroom).

 

Uitbreidings is aangebring (vyf klaskamers, spraakkamer en stoorkamer).

1973

Mr J.G. Kilian retired and Mr D.R.D. van Rooyen was appointed in his place.

 

Mnr J.G. Kilian het afgetree en Mnr D.R.D. van Rooyen is in sy plek aangestel.

1977

More extensions were necessary (Media Centre, the J.G. Kilian Hall, staff room, admin offices, etc).

 

Meer uitbreidings was nodig (Mediasentrum, saal - die J.G. Kilian-saal, personeelkamer en administratiewe kantore, ens).

1986

The swimming pool was built.

 

Die swembad is gebou.

1993

Further extensions were made (a new floor with seven classrooms and a new main entrance).

 

Further extensions were made (a new floor with seven classrooms and a new main entrance).

1995

Mr van Rooyen retired in July.

 

Mnr. van Royen het in Julie afgetree.

1996

Mr C.R. van Schalkwyk took over as principal.

 

Mnr. C.R. van Schalkwyk is as skoolhoof aangestel.

1997

The Pre-Primary Department was established.

 

Die Pre-Primére-afdeling is op die been gebring.

1998

New sports fields were developed and The Pavilion was built.

 

Nuwe sportgronde is aangelê en Die Pavilion is gebou.

2007

A new wing was built with seven classrooms, an Aftercare Centre and an ablution block.

 

’n Nuwe vleuel met sewe klaskamers, ’n Nasorgsentrum en kleedkamers is gebou.

2009

A new Pre-Primary block was built and the learners were able to move into their lovely classrooms in January 2010.

 

’n Nuwe Pre-Primêre blok is gedurende 2009 gebou en die leerders kon in Januarie 2010 in hulle pragtige nuwe klaskamers intrek.

RUGBY 1950

Rugby50-600-x-454

Top Row : Colin Gamble

Left to right : Ernst Terblanche, Harold Kapp, Robert Parker, Nollie Nell, Lodewicki Schmidt, Lawerence Weideman

Middle row : Denis Schanknecht, Principal Mr J.G. Kilian, Cecil Grobler (captain), Mr Esterhuizen (coach), Manie van der Westhuizen

Front row : Herbert Lee, Donald Grobler, Hannes Beer, Paul Moore

1942

1944

1958

1958

1978

1978

1994

1994

2008

2008

Img1787-geoff-600-x-450

2010

SCHOOL PRINCIPALS / SKOOLHOOFDE

MNR J.G. KILIAN 1944 - 1973

MNR J.G. KILIAN 1944 - 1973

MNR D.R.D VAN ROOYEN 1973 - 1995

MNR D.R.D VAN ROOYEN 1973 - 1995

MNR C.R. VAN SCHALKWYK                  1996 - 2013

MNR C.R. VAN SCHALKWYK                  1996 - 2013

MNR J.J. HARMSE 2014 -

MNR J.J. HARMSE 2014 -

Quick enquiry:

Complete and submit

Contact us:

Tel and address detail:

Office information:


Meuse Avenue

Lorraine

Port Elizabeth

 

Latitude: -33° 58’ 9.6672"
Longitude: 25° 33’ 48.243"

 

Contact Information:

 

Tel:  (041) 367-1115
Fax:  (041) 368-1812


E-mail: info@lorraineschool.co.za

Map & Directions

Where are we?

Googlemap

Click the image above for a comprehensive map to our location!

OK / Close